Dearest Mama, ست الحبايب ,حبيبة الروح,
It has been three weeks since you left on January 8, 2013, but to me Mama, you are never gone, I see you everywhere all the time, I think of you incessantly, you know who you were for me and to me. It was an immeasurable honor to be your son, and I believe you were a strong asset to humanity.
This letter Mama is a Memorial of Love to you from me, our family, our friends and relatives.
I shared with all of them your passing like this:
I write to let you all know that my mother, Samia Abdallah Helal, passed away yesterday after a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease. She is now safe, resting peacefully, and happy to join my father, my grandmother, her siblings, friends and relatives.My mother was a kind and generous woman who took care of everyone around her. She expressed her boundless love for her family with delicious food, a warm smile, ready hugs and unwavering devotion. She was a very special lady. We have missed her enormously as she battled her illness for the last several years, and we know she is in the place she has been looking forward to.
Mama is survived by myself, my wife SherriJoyce, and our daughters Sara and Maggie; my sister Hania and her son Amr and his family; my sister Hadia and her daughter Ahd; and her sister Nagwa.I will miss Mama more than I can express, much more, I am what she made, and I am finding it real hard to believe she is not here anymore. My head hurts and my heart hurts much more, I lost my anchor and I feel lost. She was/is the love of my soul.
Here are two songs for you, one from your favorite singer of all time, and the other expresses more of what I need to say, loud and clear.
- Mohamed Abdel Wahab's "ست الحبايب" http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=4GiYnzIEKKM - Celine Dion's "Goodbyes, the Saddest Thing" http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=hEq9Qliq_Ns
I also want to include this poem, displayed at the entrance of the Dar in Cairo where you stayed these last six years. This poem greeted us that day (a day I always will loathe and never forget, February 21, 2007) when we entered the Dar. It is you speaking to me. It brought me to tears then, and it always will:
"My dear children,
As the day when you see me old arrives, please be patient and try to understand me.If I can’t eat without messing up my clothes, if I can’t dress myself, remember the hours I spent teaching you those skills.If I repeat the same stories a thousand times, don’t be annoyed, don’t interrupt me; listen to me, as you did when you asked me to read the same stories to you over and over when you were little.
When I have trouble walking, give me your hand with the same love and affection I did with you as you took your first steps.When it’s time and I tell you that I yearn to be with God, don’t be sad, and don’t cry. Try to understand that my life is now nearing its end. Realize that despite my mistakes, I always wanted the best for you in life. I tried to ease the road for you… now help me walk; help me cross this last road as I have always done for you.My children, help me reach the end peacefully."
Below Mama is what I received from SherriJoyce, Sara, Maggie, Helal and our dear friends and relatives, an outpouring of affection, a mosaic of sentiments and a sea of feelings. I share the loving and moving thoughts and emotions amongst us all, as my simple way of thanking and appreciating each and every one of them for their emails, their cards, their phone calls, and their words.
I have removed the names from the eulogies to protect the writers' privacy. I know you understand this.
I am sending our friends and relatives who would like to make a donation in your memory to the Alzheimer's Foundation at http://alzfdn.org/.
Before I leave you to read your eulogies, please be absolutely certain that you will forever be remembered as Samia Abdallah Helal, and not the person who due to this hideous disease was robbed of her smile, her laugh, and her ability to enjoy her life. I also want to share with you what Mahatma Gandhi said: "Where there is love there is life."
Hussein
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------------
The Eulogies
A tapestry of how you Mama and the knowledge of you interacted with people
A tribute to your character
Hussein, tante Samia just passed away. The whole family will be there beside her. God bless her, forgive her and send her to heaven. I hope you will find the strength to go through the grieving and your family will all stand strong in this difficult times. She will be greatly missed by all of us because she was a great woman, mother, wife and a big heart for all of us. Helal
_____
SherriJoyce
We are very grateful today …
… for all of the many, many good wishes expressed from all over the world
… that we had so many years with Mama
… that she was not in pain
… that she was so well taken care of in her final yearsMama …
… loved to laugh out loud
… loved her family so much, expressing that love with delicious food
… loved to exclaim over her grandchildren when they were babies
… loved being needed
… loved strawberry ice cream and a nice cup of tea
… loved to walk everywhere
… loved prime time soaps
… started cooking dinner first thing in the morning
… always whisper-prayed for our safety when we travelled
... automatically loved any friend we introduced her to
... knew how to accept other people and cultures on their own terms
… never tried to tell us what to do
… taught me how to make baklava and spanekopeta and lentil soup
… had the entire house unpacked in 24 hours when we moved into our first house
… came for her annual visits with a long list of things to buy for her family
… valued charity very highly
Stories
… Charity was very important to Mama. When she first started coming every summer to see us, she brought the clothes she would need. After that, she would show up with two empty suitcases, one inside the other. She would fill them with clothes the girls had outgrown and everything else she could find that we no longer were using… She would leave with two suitcases full of good things to give to charity. One year, I made the mistake of storing the girls' winter clothes in the same place I stored the clothes they had outgrown. Mama, to my surprise when winter came, took all the winter clothes back to Egypt! My mistake…
… Mama expressed her love with food. She knew there were some ingredients Hussein liked that she couldn't get here. She cleverly put those ingredients into purses and got them past Customs.
… We took Mama on vacations with us, and she worked hard to keep up with us. She had the energy, she had the stamina, she had the interest, but she found some things unnerving. She held on for dear life when we drove over the crests of the hills in San Francisco. She wouldn't go near the edge of the Grand Canyon, and when we took a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon, she stayed behind and asked for my brother's phone number, as she was sure she would never see us again. She was a good sport about it, she laughed along with us when we made fun of her… but she insisted on having the phone number just the same.
… Mama watched over Sara and Maggie like a hawk. She watched them so closely, she knew everything about them when they were babies. She could tell the tiny signs when they were tired or hungry, and she spent hours cooing over them and smiling at them and talking to them and cuddling them. She was the best grandmother ever.
… She was also an exemplary mother-in-law. She and I were best buddies. I worked at home, so I could take breaks and we would talk and talk… I have missed her terribly since that horrific disease took her away from us.
We are grateful today … to see how many people really loved her.
… for all of the many, many good wishes expressed from all over the world
… that we had so many years with Mama
… that she was not in pain
… that she was so well taken care of in her final yearsMama …
… loved to laugh out loud
… loved her family so much, expressing that love with delicious food
… loved to exclaim over her grandchildren when they were babies
… loved being needed
… loved strawberry ice cream and a nice cup of tea
… loved to walk everywhere
… loved prime time soaps
… started cooking dinner first thing in the morning
… always whisper-prayed for our safety when we travelled
... automatically loved any friend we introduced her to
... knew how to accept other people and cultures on their own terms
… never tried to tell us what to do
… taught me how to make baklava and spanekopeta and lentil soup
… had the entire house unpacked in 24 hours when we moved into our first house
… came for her annual visits with a long list of things to buy for her family
… valued charity very highly
Stories
… Charity was very important to Mama. When she first started coming every summer to see us, she brought the clothes she would need. After that, she would show up with two empty suitcases, one inside the other. She would fill them with clothes the girls had outgrown and everything else she could find that we no longer were using… She would leave with two suitcases full of good things to give to charity. One year, I made the mistake of storing the girls' winter clothes in the same place I stored the clothes they had outgrown. Mama, to my surprise when winter came, took all the winter clothes back to Egypt! My mistake…
… Mama expressed her love with food. She knew there were some ingredients Hussein liked that she couldn't get here. She cleverly put those ingredients into purses and got them past Customs.
… We took Mama on vacations with us, and she worked hard to keep up with us. She had the energy, she had the stamina, she had the interest, but she found some things unnerving. She held on for dear life when we drove over the crests of the hills in San Francisco. She wouldn't go near the edge of the Grand Canyon, and when we took a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon, she stayed behind and asked for my brother's phone number, as she was sure she would never see us again. She was a good sport about it, she laughed along with us when we made fun of her… but she insisted on having the phone number just the same.
… Mama watched over Sara and Maggie like a hawk. She watched them so closely, she knew everything about them when they were babies. She could tell the tiny signs when they were tired or hungry, and she spent hours cooing over them and smiling at them and talking to them and cuddling them. She was the best grandmother ever.
… She was also an exemplary mother-in-law. She and I were best buddies. I worked at home, so I could take breaks and we would talk and talk… I have missed her terribly since that horrific disease took her away from us.
We are grateful today … to see how many people really loved her.
_____
Sara
The other day I met with a delightful rabbi to discuss a new project for the community. She wanted to develop an informational brochure that would walk people through the process of death and mourning. (Interesting timing, right?) At first I thought - who needs a tutorial? Shit happens and you roll with the punches. You live in Denial that this is your reality (as I do) and then suffer through the days every once in a while when you're forced to accept it (like birthdays and holidays). What could this woman and her rabbinical colleagues tell me that would make it easier to let my beloveds go from this earth? And why does she care how I handle the personal travesty?
After sitting with her for an hour, discussing everything from font choice to whether we'll use "God or G-d," she asked about my family and if I'd ever lost a loved one. I expressed that indeed I had, just weeks ago, lost my grandmother. And naturally, she asked how I was handling it. My answer? "I'm fine." She must have noticed that I broke eye contact because she leaned in closer and said, "Yes, I can see that you're fine. How are you handling it?" I knew right then that I was being pulled out of my very comfortable home in Denial.
The truth is, I've never prepared myself for the sadness that befalls me when losing someone dear to my heart and because of that, I am ill-equipped to handle and make sense of a situation that's inevitable to us mortals. I realize now that the part of the process I need to focus on is simply going through the process. I need to feel each stage of grief. I need to ask myself how I'm doing and listen to the answer. I need to accept that others may be dealing with it differently but that we can still deal with it together. And most importantly, I need to remember. I need to remember every special moment that I can. So I remember...
I remember that Nana was the third person to hold me after birth. That she visited from Egypt every summer to immerse herself in the lives of her grandchildren. That she introduced me to spinach baklava, tourli, and the wonder that is sharing meals with your family. I remember the smell of Nana's cologne, her contagious laughter, the softness of her skin. I remember her dedication to the five daily prayers, her love for each member of our very large Egyptian family and her pride in watching my sister and me grow into women.
I must continue to remember so I can be just like her. A woman who touched every soul she met.
Nana, as you said thousands of times to us, "we love you too much; we miss you too much."
After sitting with her for an hour, discussing everything from font choice to whether we'll use "God or G-d," she asked about my family and if I'd ever lost a loved one. I expressed that indeed I had, just weeks ago, lost my grandmother. And naturally, she asked how I was handling it. My answer? "I'm fine." She must have noticed that I broke eye contact because she leaned in closer and said, "Yes, I can see that you're fine. How are you handling it?" I knew right then that I was being pulled out of my very comfortable home in Denial.
The truth is, I've never prepared myself for the sadness that befalls me when losing someone dear to my heart and because of that, I am ill-equipped to handle and make sense of a situation that's inevitable to us mortals. I realize now that the part of the process I need to focus on is simply going through the process. I need to feel each stage of grief. I need to ask myself how I'm doing and listen to the answer. I need to accept that others may be dealing with it differently but that we can still deal with it together. And most importantly, I need to remember. I need to remember every special moment that I can. So I remember...
I remember that Nana was the third person to hold me after birth. That she visited from Egypt every summer to immerse herself in the lives of her grandchildren. That she introduced me to spinach baklava, tourli, and the wonder that is sharing meals with your family. I remember the smell of Nana's cologne, her contagious laughter, the softness of her skin. I remember her dedication to the five daily prayers, her love for each member of our very large Egyptian family and her pride in watching my sister and me grow into women.
I must continue to remember so I can be just like her. A woman who touched every soul she met.
Nana, as you said thousands of times to us, "we love you too much; we miss you too much."
Sara's two poems
My Nana
I gaze into her eyes,
And see a young woman. I gaze into her heart, And see the whole world. All the memories, All the passion, All her hopes and dreams, Out in the open. Her smiles, her tears, Her criticisms, her laughs. Nothing can compare To the way I love her. But there is one thing, That gets me deep inside. And that is her cooking, Which she does with so much love. She puts on her apron, And the ingredients come out. There is a wonderful smell, And the meal is served. Delicious cakes, Scrumptious meat. Working night and day, Our stomachs are always full. Being retired with nothing to do; This is how she expresses herself. So, if love equals cooking, I will feast on her love forever.
_____
|
Remembering
Which made the times fun. Remember the things she said That made your mind run. Remember the days You just sat and stared. Gazing at her realizing How much she cared. Remember the arguments That made you think. Remember her strength And how she became a link. Remember her smile Which brought upon yours. Remember her thoughts That opened so many doors. Remember her wish For you to do well. Remember her voice That rang beautifully like a bell. Remember all these things And never forget. If you do, You will be set. |
Maggie
It's a very strange thing, saying goodbye to someone you've known your whole life. Someone I've known my whole life. Someone who truly knew me.
My Nana was there to greet me the day I was born. She was there every birthday after, and every day in between, whether or not she was there in person.
She was the woman I convinced to put the extra cheese in my Mac & Cheese. She was the woman who giggled when my shorts were too short. She was the woman who gave me the necklace she held dear, because I said I loved it on her. She was the woman who always said "I miss you too much" - and you knew that's how she felt, not a fault in language.
I can't fully process her not being there, today and tomorrow, even though she hasn't really been "here" with us for a few years. It's too much to bear, her actually being out of reach... too far to touch, and hug, and kiss, and squeeze.
See, the distance didn't matter with Nana. You always felt her. I always felt her. And I'll always feel her in my heart... I'll see her in my father's face, in my sister's face, in my mother's face... in my own face, and the faces of future generations... for the rest of my life.
I miss you too much, Nana. I love you too much.
I miss you too much, Nana. I love you too much.
- Maggie Robinson Hussein Amin
_____
Maggie's words to me after my sharing your passing with her:
I couldn't have said this better myself - such perfect words. Unwavering devotion is even an understatement for our sweet Mama/Nana.
I couldn't have said this better myself - such perfect words. Unwavering devotion is even an understatement for our sweet Mama/Nana.
I miss her already, and more than I ever knew.
Love you times infinity.
_____
Dear Hussein,
It was with heavy hearts that we read your email about your mother. We are so truly sorry for your loss. No matter how old we are, it is always such a piercing blow when we lose our mothers, these ultimate witnesses to our history. Hussein, we know that your mourning began years ago as that dreadfulness robbed you, slowly and steadily, of the mother you knew. So yes, now she is, finally... at peace. And we hope you take some measure of comfort from that.
Reading your loving tribute to your mother, we feel sorry that we never had the chance to meet her. And yet, maybe in a way we have. We see her in your gentle kindness, your generous heart, your warm smile, your unwavering devotion, your love of your family. Perhaps the greatest testament to our parents is to be people that they would be proud of. And we have to believe that she was proud of you. And would be now.
From now on, whenever you feel challenged by whatever life throws at you, remind yourself that you are the son of Samia Abdallah Helal. How lucky you were (see enclosed quote from Colette, as she writes about her mother).
So, dear Hussein, just know that we are thinking of you and holding you in our hearts.
With love and heartfelt sympathy,
"Sir, you ask me to come and spend a week with you, which means I would be near my daughter, whom I adore. You who live with her know how rarely I see her, how much her presence delights me, and I'm touched that you should ask me to come and see her. All the same, I'm not going to accept your kind invitation, for the time being at any rate. The reason is that my pink cactus is probably going to flower. It's a very rare plant I've been given, and I'm told that in our climate it flowers only once every four years. Now, I am already a very old woman and if I went away when my pink cactus is about the flower, I am certain I shouldn't see it flower again.So, I beg you, sir, to accept my sincere thanks and my regrets, together with my kind regards."
This note, signed "Sidonie Colette, nee Landoy" was written by my mother to one of my husbands, the second. A year later she died, at the age of seventy-seven.
Whenever I feel myself inferior to everything about me, threatened by my own mediocrity, frightened by the discovery that a muscle is losing its strength, a desire its power, or a pain the keen edge of its bite, I can still hold up my head and say to myself: "I am the daughter of the woman who wrote that letter... I am the daughter of a woman who, in a mean, close-fisted, confined little place, opened her village home to stray cats, tramps and pregnant servant girls... Let me not forget that I am the daughter of a woman who bent her head, trembling, between the blades of a cactus, her wrinkled face full of ecstasy over the promise of a flower, a woman who herself never ceased to flower, untiringly, during three quarters of a century." Colette, Earthly Paradise
With love and heartfelt sympathy,
"Sir, you ask me to come and spend a week with you, which means I would be near my daughter, whom I adore. You who live with her know how rarely I see her, how much her presence delights me, and I'm touched that you should ask me to come and see her. All the same, I'm not going to accept your kind invitation, for the time being at any rate. The reason is that my pink cactus is probably going to flower. It's a very rare plant I've been given, and I'm told that in our climate it flowers only once every four years. Now, I am already a very old woman and if I went away when my pink cactus is about the flower, I am certain I shouldn't see it flower again.So, I beg you, sir, to accept my sincere thanks and my regrets, together with my kind regards."
This note, signed "Sidonie Colette, nee Landoy" was written by my mother to one of my husbands, the second. A year later she died, at the age of seventy-seven.
Whenever I feel myself inferior to everything about me, threatened by my own mediocrity, frightened by the discovery that a muscle is losing its strength, a desire its power, or a pain the keen edge of its bite, I can still hold up my head and say to myself: "I am the daughter of the woman who wrote that letter... I am the daughter of a woman who, in a mean, close-fisted, confined little place, opened her village home to stray cats, tramps and pregnant servant girls... Let me not forget that I am the daughter of a woman who bent her head, trembling, between the blades of a cactus, her wrinkled face full of ecstasy over the promise of a flower, a woman who herself never ceased to flower, untiringly, during three quarters of a century." Colette, Earthly Paradise
____
Hussein, dear, you've been on our minds and in our hearts these past few days.
We'd like to make a donation in your mother's memory. Do you have a charity/organization that you'd prefer?
With love, care and concern.
_____
I grieve also, Mama was a good friend to me and I will miss her.
_____
We were so sorry to hear about Mama. You spoke so lovingly of her over the years I have known you. May you all be comforted by the many wonderful memories you have, You were so lucky to be part of each others' lives. I still remember a beaming Hussein bringing his mother to the retreat at the Cliffside Inn to see all us crazy quilters.
_____
My condolences Hussein. Your note reminded me to remember my own Mother, and caused me to think on the many things she was to me and so many others. She and all the good that she gave is still here, in you.
_____
Your Mother was a lovely and sweet woman that I cared for greatly. My thoughts and love are with you during this time.
_____
Your Mother was a lovely and sweet woman that I cared for greatly. My thoughts and love are with you during this time.
_____
You have my deepest sympathy.
_____
Sorry to hear about your Mamma's passing away. Please accept our condolences.
_____
We were deeply saddened to read that your beloved mother passed away yesterday after her long illness.
Please accept our heartfelt condolences to you and all your family on your loss. We trust you will find comfort in that your mother is now is in a better place, but will always remain in your heart and part of whom you are.Our thoughts are with you.
_____
I was so sorry to hear the sad news about your Mama. Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.
As you so aptly put it, you are what she made. She did a great job and I know that you will miss her.
Stay strong Hussein. Losing mom is never easy nor lasting.
Oh, Hussein, I can barely type through my tears - what a wonderful, touching, accurate, amazing memorial to your wonderful Mother...and to the son and family of whom she was most proud!
As you so aptly put it, you are what she made. She did a great job and I know that you will miss her.
I'm thinking of you and your family at this time.
_____
I have just heard about your mother (from [our mutual friend] of course) and want to express my condolences.
_____
I am so sorry for your loss -- the loss of one's mother is so very painful even when circumstances have already taken away the person you knew and loved. Our hearts grieve with you.
_____
I would like to offer my condolences. I know it's been a rough half-decade.
_____
I'm sorry to hear from you about mom's passing.
From what you describe we all love her and are celebrating her life. I see one of her achievements is Hussein. Bravo on that account and many many others.
I lost my mom five years ago on Jan 25. Not unlike Samia, ..... my mom also had increasing memory loss over time. Both are in a better place and in good company.Stay strong Hussein. Losing mom is never easy nor lasting.
البقاء لله
_____
I am so very sorry for your loss. We have been thinking of Mama since we heard that she had been hospitalized, and I know how terribly worried you have been. I have admired your unwavering devotion as you've done your best to ensure the quality of her care during her struggle with Alzheimer's.
It has been a long and difficult road for all of you, but I hope that you find comfort in the memories you and the girls have of the better times. She was a very very special lady.
_____
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much MaMa meant to both of you. My family and I will be thinking of you during this difficult time.
_____
My sincerest condolences Hussein to you and your family.
I feel for you no end! As you say, she is now resting peacefully Hussein. She may have been suffering internally without anyone being able to know. I felt something when I went to see her, remember?
I know that no words I can ever utter can alleviate your sorrow, just know that I am with you, feeling so deeply for you....
With all my love, always....
_____
I am very sorry to hear about the passing away of your beloved mother. Please accept my deepest and most sincere condolences. Your Mom is now in Allah's Hands, in a more peaceful and actually in a far better place than she ever was. I share with you the great love and deep affection you expressed for your Mom. These are noble feelings that you will always remember her with. I wish Allah Grant all the patience to you and the family.
_____
Dear Hussein,
[My wife] and I are deeply sorry to hear the sad news. We saw her only a few times but could not agree more that she was a kind, generous and loving lady. She exuded a personality that is both rare and reminiscent of a bygone age when one could have the fortune to meet a larger than life individual, but who was also full of grace and charm, which is how we saw her. We remember with deep affection and appreciation her radiant presence at [my daughter's] wedding.
Please accept our sincere condolences in your bereavement. [My wife] and I both know what it is to lose a parent. The void is never filled.
_____
Dear Hussein:
It is with great sadness that I learned of the passing of your mother. She was a most gracious and kind person and one of the classiest people I was privileged to know in my life. She reminded me of my own mother in so many ways-her beauty, her generosity of spirit, her compassion were truly admirable. I feel an enormous sense of loss and cannot even imagine how much her leaving must affect you. Please know that I will always remember her with great fondness and reverence and I will be forever grateful for her presence and blessings on the occasion of [my daughter's] wedding in 2004. Please accept my deepest sympathies on your loss and know that I am thinking of you.
It has been a rough year. We learned yesterday that [my husband] lost an aunt, a wonderful soul whom I adored. Love and loss, the human condition..
I hope SherriJoyce, Sara and maggie are all doing well and send you my best wishes for a healthy, safe and productive new year.
Love,
_____
So sorry to hear this. I have very fond memories of Mama, from the times she visited in Rockville.
_____
I am very sorry to hear about the sad news. My family and I would like to express our deepest and heartfelt sympathies to you and the family. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.
_____
I was deeply touched by your message and hope indeed that your mother has found herself once more after her struggle with Alzheimer's and is now with the loved ones she once lost.
_____
Our thoughts go out to you and all your family. Where she is now and the feelings your express of her happiness in reaching there say a lot about the wonderful relationship you must have had with her.
_____
My condolences. The passing of a parent is very difficult. Both my parents suffered and died from Alzheimer disease so I have some understanding of your struggle. Again my condolences.
_____
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. It must be very hard loosing loved ones. I am almost 70 but I have not experienced that kind of feelings!!!!
_____
I am deeply sad to hear that your beloved mother passed away. Please accept my sincere condolences . I understand your great emotion, feelings that I experiment myself at the death of my own mother. Now after all this struggle with her cruel disease, tell yourself and all the members of your family, that she is now in peace and will always be present in your heart. I ask God to give you the courage in these very sad situation.
God bless you and All the members of your family.
_____
Oh Hussein! I'm so sorry to hear this. It's such a hard thing to go through. I know she must have been an exceptional woman. As you said, though--and I do firmly believe--she's safe now, and reunited with those she loved.
Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease. I'll say some prayers for her, you and your family.
Thanks for letting me know.
_____
Our condolences to you and your family. [My wife] and I read your message and were deeply moved by it.
From our personal experiences, I hate to admit that although kind and sympathetic words from friends are nice, yet they do not reflect the real feeling of loss.
Twenty seven years after loosing my mother, I still feel the terrible loss. Until today, I frequently say to myself, what should I have done to make her life easier, happier, and ......
I still remember her humor, her compassion, and her beauty, and even her pinches of my arm when I misbehaved. (By the way, I did deserve every pinch!).
She prayed five times a day, fast Ramadan, and went to Hajj, but also fixed her hair at the coiffure, wore fancy dresses, and went to dinner and clubs with my father for entertainment.
We wish you pleasant memories, and eternal peace!
_____
Please accept my condolences. As someone who has had tough time dealing with the loss my own mother — I don't think I will ever get over her passing — I understand what you must feel. We were both lucky to be the sons of such amazing women. As you said in your a beautiful eulogy for my Mom, people like our Moms are few and far between. Fortunately, both your daughters got to know your mother very well. Thus, her memory will continue to echo through the generations.
_____
My deepest condolences on your loss. It is true that those who leave us, are back to a home where we all belong, but it is those who are left behind who suffer from separation.
Praying for mercy for your mother's soul and healing for your heart.
آلبقا لله
_____
So sorry for your loss. Your mother was a lovely person and I enjoyed meeting her in Maryland and Cairo. May her memory be a blessing for you.
_____
البقية في حياتك يا حسين ، كانت سيدة رائعة
الله يرحمها
_____
My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Mother. We've discussed her struggle with Alzheimer's disease, a disease that affected my mother-in-law in her final years. It's a terrible disease.
I hope you can gain strength from those around you.
_____
Our deepest condolences. I totally feel with you, as a departure of a mother is a great loss.
My mother passed away over ten years ago, yet sometimes I think she will be there next time I visit her room at my sister's apt in Egypt. I feel her soul!
Well, life goes on, and we have to focus on our children and grandchildren and enjoy life with our living loved ones, until its our time to go.
Salamat my friend.
_____
Sorry for your loss Hussein. You were clearly close. It must have been hard to see her dissolve into this cruel disease. She is out of it now.
_____
I am very sorry to hear that your mother passed away. My deepest sympathy for you and your family. I have experienced this myself, I know what you are going through. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
_____
My deepest condolences, Hussein.
_____
Allah yerhamha
Her spirit & soul will be always around her children the ones she loved most
now she has no disease, she will remember you & be next to you
the only thing, you can't see her, but I am sure you will feel her around.
May she rest in peace
may God grant you the patience
as departure is difficult
Rabena ye2awik
_____
Me and [my wife] send you our very sincere condolences to you and all the family. We feel extremely sad and feel that we have lost a mother. I talked to [my wife] a lot about Tante Samia and how wonderful and great she was and will always remember her with love and great respect. I feel for you in this sad day and I feel your great loss because I know how much you loved and adored her and also how much you were very very special to her. There is nothing we can say or do when death takes a loved one and we hope that time alone would cure our broken sad hearts. Then what will remain inside us for as long as we live is the beautiful and rich memory we will have of her/him and then we will find that this loved one is living inside us and not dead. Tante Samia will always live inside you Hussein, this is a fact.
_____
Our condolences for the passing away of tante Samia, we really felt very very sad to receive these news from you on the email.
Tante Samia is like a mother to me, and when we were in Egypt, me and [my wife] visited her many times and she visited us and we established a nice relationship with her and it is a very, very sad day for me and I am staying the whole night now remembering her, what she was doing and saying and our relation, long relation with her.
A great lady, the Heaven for her.
______
Me and [my wife] share your remembrance and feel your sorrow, your loss and your flowing love to Tante Samia. She was really a very remarkable woman and an uncomparable mother. As I always say, she is living inside your always and dont forget you are carrying her living genes. Have her photos in every corner and visit her photo album often and talk about her to everyone. Since she's gone, I recall the memory I have of her with joy and also with sadness that we lost her.
_____
My sincere condolences on the demise of your dear mother to you and your family.
I am so very sorry for your loss and pain.
Lilfaqîdah al-rahma
_____.
May your dear mother be eternally happy, and may we all eventually join those who have departed before us.
May God bless you and your family.
_____
So sorry to hear this sad news; a caring mother is hard to lose.
We're so saddened to hear about your mother. The few times I met her I wished we could speak the same language. We feel like we know her from all the funny stories you told us over the years.
I am so sorry to hear this. My childhood is made up of many wonderful memories of your mother and the family. My condolences.
_____
Oh Hussein!
Your mother was a great lady and she was your hero. She will never be forgotten. And she will keep on living in you, your sisters and all her gran children. That is the circle of life.
Please accept my deepest condolences.
Take good care of yourself.
_____
What a beautiful tribute to your mother. Maman was exactly as you describe her and the deep love you felt for her comes through so clearly. The pain is strong no matter what our age may be. A mother is always a mother and her loss is one of the deepest pains we experience. My thoughts are with you during your sorrow. May the beautiful memories you have of her bring a smile to your face when the pain hits you.
I send you a big hug.
_____
It is with deep sorrow that I read about your mother's passing. It has been unfair that such a lovely person should have been so afflicted. Your mother was lovely in so many ways--she was knock-out gorgeous--a feast for the eyes. But, of course, more importantly, she was one of the most beautiful beings I will probably ever know--warm and kind and loving. I see her before me, her wonderful smile and shining eyes and, apparent in her face, all the pleasure she always felt being with her family. Samia Abdallah Helal was a most special person, indeed, and her loss will be mourned by anyone who had the good luck to have met her.
_____
I know that even though Mama was slipping away for years, still the actual fact of her being gone is still hurtful, I am sure. You told me at the time that [my] Mom died that there is just no good way to lose your mother. And you were so right.
_____
My sincere condolences to all of you. I am sure she was proud of you as you of her.
_____
[My wife] has many memories about her wonderful cooking and still remembers what a sweet lady she was.
We hope you're doing OK. Let us know if you need anything, you know we're glad to help with anything.
And looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.
Much love.
_____
My most sincere condolences.
_____
_____
I am so sorry for your loss.
I know: no words can be good enough in situations like that.
I know how it feels to loose a hero. I lost one nearly a year ago. And, there isn't a day that goes by without me remembering him.Your mother was a great lady and she was your hero. She will never be forgotten. And she will keep on living in you, your sisters and all her gran children. That is the circle of life.
She is in a better place where there is no pain not sorrow.
May she rest in peace and may God give you the necessary serenity to get through those harsh times.Please accept my deepest condolences.
_____
Hi Hussein!
You message arrived on the day that we remember the passing of my late father. A year ago, around that time, it was a Sunday, I got the call that papa passed a few minutes ago.
I feel your pain, and unfortunately, even if it would be easier with time, it never goes away.
Please find attached a lovely poem, I already posted on FB. It is by French poet Charles Péguy, and it resumes our feelings about death.
May she rest in peace, and may she always be remembered.
Sincerely,
LA MORT N'EST RIEN
La mort n’est rien, je suis simplement passé dans la pièce à côté.
Je suis moi, vous êtes vous.
Ce que nous étions les uns pour les autres,
nous le sommes toujours.
Donnez-moi le nom que vous m’avez toujours donné,
Parlez-moi comme vous l’avez toujours fait,
N’employez pas un ton solennel ou triste,
Continuez à rire de ce qui nous faisait rire ensemble,
Priez, souriez, pensez à moi,
Que mon nom soit prononcé comme il l’a toujours été,
Sans emphase d’aucune sorte, sans trace d’ombre,
La vie signifie tout ce qu’elle a toujours signifié,
Elle est ce qu’elle a toujours été.
Le fil n’est pas coupé,
Simplement parce que je suis hors de votre vue.
Je vous attends. Je ne suis pas loin.
Juste de l’autre côté du chemin.
Vous voyez : tout est bien.
Je suis moi, vous êtes vous.
Ce que nous étions les uns pour les autres,
nous le sommes toujours.
Donnez-moi le nom que vous m’avez toujours donné,
Parlez-moi comme vous l’avez toujours fait,
N’employez pas un ton solennel ou triste,
Continuez à rire de ce qui nous faisait rire ensemble,
Priez, souriez, pensez à moi,
Que mon nom soit prononcé comme il l’a toujours été,
Sans emphase d’aucune sorte, sans trace d’ombre,
La vie signifie tout ce qu’elle a toujours signifié,
Elle est ce qu’elle a toujours été.
Le fil n’est pas coupé,
Simplement parce que je suis hors de votre vue.
Je vous attends. Je ne suis pas loin.
Juste de l’autre côté du chemin.
Vous voyez : tout est bien.
_____
Oh Hussein, SherriJoyce, Sara, Maggie - my heart is breaking for you all. No matter how much we know it's her time to go, it's never easy for it to be our time to lose the ones we love... I have so many wonderful memories of Samia/Nana - her smile, her cooking, her warmth, her shopping to take back things from her trips here, her caring for the girls. Much love to you.
_____
Please accept my sincerest condolences for the passing away of your mother,definitely the most important person in our life.But she left behind many good persons who,as you rightly said,make her survive and be always around." Je vous souhaite beaucoup de courage.
_____
My sincerest condolences.
I know how you feel. I lost my mother 4 years ago, and still tears come to my eyes, every time somebody mentions her in front of me. She was not only my mother, but my best friend and my soul mate.
My heart is with your family. A mother is not easy to lose; but you will find yourself talking to her, whenever you feel like it.
May God bless her soul in Heaven; give you all peace, tranquility & courage to face your ordeal.
As you truly say, she is in a better place.
Take care. With all my sympathy.
_____
I'm very sorry about your mother....She seems to have been as all our mothers used to be....loving, caring, giving up everything for their children without complaining once and not expecting anything in return. Allah yerhamha...
_____
عزاءا جميلا يا صدبقي
الرحمة للسيدة سامية عبد الله هلال والدتك العظيمة
اسكنها الله تعالى فسيح جناته
و الهمك الصبر السلوان ان كان ذلك ممكنا ابدا مع فراق الاحبة و الام ست الحبايب
_____
First البقيه في حياتك والله يرحمها
But as you know mothers never die.they always live in our souls and hearts in the memory and in our daily gestures and words.we are part of them.we remember them all our life.may she rest in peace and may God receive her in his kingdom of heaven.
_____
I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss. Such times are always very difficult, especially for you and your sisters, but it must be a great satisfaction to know that your mother lived a long and fulfilling life and that she no longer has to fight her illness.
Deepest sympathies and warmest regards.
I am so sorry to hear it no matter the circumstances. I will never forget lentil soup with the lime, and the spinach and meat pies for as long as I live. No one did it like she did. !!!
_____
Deepest sympathies and warmest regards.
_____
I will keep your sincere lovely words in my heart and on my computer for ever. I am glad you, and I, are confident that she is now at the highest location in Paradise. However, I am saddened for your feeling of missing her. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. I will always pray with you for her during this tragic time.
_____
My deepest condolences, may she rest in peace and joy with her loved ones who preceded her.
_____
Sincere condolences. I almost feel that I knew your Mama, the very special lady you describe so well. May she rest in peace.
_____
[My wife] and I extend our condolences to you and your family upon the passing of your mother. We can tell from your message how very special she is and how well she will be remembered. As I read your message I was reminded of a meditation that has brought me comfort at this particular time of life. I share it with you.
I was deeply grieved by the news of your mother's death and touched by your tender and loving description of her character and the environment of family warmth, hospitality and affection she generated around her. The privilege and God-sent blessing of having had such a parent will always provide a sanctuary of loving memories for you and your sisters.
My heart is heavy with yours, my friend.
Above all, your dear Mother would want you to live happily and remember her with love and great memories.
My very best regards to you and to all the family.
Your caring of her, from so far away, was done with such love that I am sure she is bragging about you both with her beloveds now.
May all of your happy memories help during this painful time.
I am so sorry for your loss and wish I were with you so I could give you much needed hugs. I know how much Mama meant to you and your daughters and how many fond memories you have. Hold those memories close, as Mama lives within you so long as you have them. May your healing begin as you are surrounded by those you love, may Mama be for a blessing.
Oh SherriJoyce! So sorry for your loss of such a beautiful spirit. Please give Hussein and your girls my love and support. I know Mama is in a better place after her suffering but that you all are still hurting and will miss her so much. Special hugs for all.
May Samia’s memory, her kind, generous and loving spirit, be for you and your family a source of comfort and support.
_____"When I die give what's left of me away to children and old men that wait to die.And if you need to cry, cry for your brother walking the street beside you.
And when you need me, put your arms around anyone and give them what you need to give to me....
Look for me in the people I've known or loved....
Love doesn't die, people do.So, when all that's left of me is love, give me away."
[My wife] and I are so sad to hear of your loss. It seems as if she was a woman who raised a strong family that will stay together and treasure her memory. No one can have a finer legacy.
_____
My sincere condolences on your loss.
_____
May God rest her soul in peace and please accept my sincerest condolences for the loss of such a dear person to you and your family.
_____
My condolences.
_____
My deep condolences may god bless her soul.
_____
It certainly is sad to lose a parent who has been so close over your lifetime. Even sadder that you can't be there to say last goodbyes.
You should be proud and joyful of how close and devoted you were to each other, and what good care you took of her.My heart is heavy with yours, my friend.
_____
Hussein, she's there, always there, in your heart, where she's always been, where it counts most.
_____
My deepest sympathy for your loss. May your mum rest in peace. May your fond memories of her ease your pain. She will live for ever in your hearts and thoughts.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
_____
I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. No matter how much you expect it, it is still somehow shocking. I hope your memories of her help comfort you.
_____
Sherrijoyce
I am so sorry to hear of Hussein's mother. I know how shocking it can be, even though you expect it. There is a feeling of peace to it, though. I hope you and Hussein are comforted by fond memories of her.
_____
My condolences for the loss of your dear mother.
_____
Désolée d'apprendre cette triste nouvelle Hussein. Une maman est irremplaçable, surtout lorsque c'est une vraie maman avec toutes les qualités de gentillesse et de dévouement que tu décris. Elle est en paix maintenant, loin des souffrances et des misères de ce bas monde. J'imagine ta peine et celle de tes proches et je vous souhaite à tous le courage de surmonter cette épreuve. Affectueusement.
_____
It's been a good ten minutes since I read your message,but it moved me so deeply that I couldn't get myself to respond immediately...Such a loss is immeasurable and takes countless years and immeasurable time to overcome ( I don't say forget,for I would be deceiving you...),but we have to accept God's will and be certain that it is for the best of all concerned.I fully appreciate and understand the gnawing feeling of suddenly sensing a fathomless hollow inside...but, God willing,it will eventually be replaced by a soothing sense of intangible serenity and calm...the sort of strange overwhelming inner peace that overtakes that sudden engulfing sensation of loneliness .May God rest her soul and lead her into His paradise of eternal peace,and grant you the fortitude to accept and overcome that sudden gnawing feeling of hollow loneliness....
_____
I was extremely saddened by the news. Although you are expecting it to happen but it is still not easy particularly when we are talking about your mother, such a lady that was fully dedicated to her home and her family. I will never forget her kindness and generosity. In such circumstances the words are poor, but please relay my deepest condolences to Hadia and Hania.
"Your brother"
_____
Please accept my and [my son’s] sincere Condolences on the passing away of your dear mother. I know this is very hard for you, being so far away and that you did not see her for some time. BUT, PLEASE take comfort that you had a wonderful mother, loved by all who knew her, including your friends, as [our mutual friend] also told us what a wonderful lady she was. Please also take comfort that she loved you so much and that you have such wonderful memories of your times together and that your family and two daughters were able to get to know her and enjoy her love for them. Being far away, this all is a great deal to treasure for all your days.
Some time ago, you had a friend with a great loss in his life and I sent you an Irish Poem to forward to him for comfort. I now send this to you, hoping this will give you comfort as your dear Mother, after a long illness, is now resting at peace.Above all, your dear Mother would want you to live happily and remember her with love and great memories.
"Miss me but let me goWhen I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
Why cry for a soul set free?Miss me a little–but not too longAnd not with your head bowed low.Remember the love that we once shared,Miss me–but let me go.
For this is a journey that we all must takeAnd each must go alone.It's all a part of the Master's plan,
A step on the road to home.When you are lonely and sick of heartGo to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.Miss Me–But Let me Go!"
_____
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I remember her very well, even though that was long ago.
_____
She was a delightful person; at least you have the memory of that.
_____
Am very sorry to hear about your grave loss ... Please accept my sincere condolences to you and to all the family. May you find comfort in each others love throughout this difficult time.
It is definitely a great consolation to look back and cherish the memories of a great mother as yours. She sounds amazing indeed. The people we love are never gone !!! They always live with us in our hearts and in our prayers.My very best regards to you and to all the family.
_____
[My husband] and I send you our love and sympathy.
This is one of the times that I wish I had been a [member of the group] longer. I never got to meet Hussein's mother. All of the [group] speak of her with such fondness and joy that I know she was special and, she spread her love to all she met. May all of your happy memories help during this painful time.
_____
Hi SherriJoyce,
I know you are hurting too because you loved her as well and she was such a big part of your lives when the kids were younger. I wrote to Hussein. I think his tribute to Maman was beautiful. My heart is with both of you. As I said to him, as much as intellectually we understand our mother has to die at some time, emotionally it is still very painful. All the memories of the past come flowing up and make the pain more intense.
A big hug to both of you.
_____
Our condolences to both of you. We are all blessed to have known Hussein's mother through you.
_____
You both were so devoted to Mama and took such good care of her. Managing long term care seemingly from half a world away was amazing. Loving thoughts are coming to you.
_____
Please give Hussein a big hug from me. It must be especially difficult not to have the closure he would have in Egypt. Lets talk when you get home.
_____
_____
Hugs.
_____
I’m sad for Hussein, you, Sara and Maggie. Give Hussein a hug for me.
_____
_____
I am sad to hear of your loss. Enjoy the happy memories you have of Mama. As you said, she made you what you are today & I can imagine how happy & proud she is of you!!!!
_____
So sorry to hear about your mother. I know how close to her you were. It must have been difficult for you since she was so far away, and you were unable to travel to Egypt. When my mother passed away at age 90, five months after my father died at age 94, I realized that I was an orphan, and that I was now the older generation, my parents being the last of their generation. I blessed my parents for everything they gave me, most important of which was a stable, happy home, which allowed me to develop as an independent person, comfortable in the world. I have fond thoughts of them often. There will always be a special place in my heart for them, as there is for [my deceased wife]: the 3 people who, more than anyone, made me who I am today. You are fortunate to have had such a loving relationship with your mother. What she gave you, and what you took from her, is one of the reasons I am glad to be your friend.
___
I have not written to you until now about mama because I needed to think about what to say.
But after all of this I can only say that she was one of the most wonderful people I have met and she had a BIG BIG heart--always kind to [my son] and to us.
She will be long remembered with affection and joy--and yummy dinners.
Love
__________
What can I say? Just know I have sympathy and empathy for your family. Death is the downside of life. I don't like it. Please tell DH and DDs I am thinking about the whole family. You and Hussein provided much love to his mother. I am sure her last rational moments were devoted to her family.
_____
I only just read the [group's] minutes and read about your mother in law.
I'm sorry to hear this, but also know that it is probably a relief in some ways. Her suffering is over.
I'm sorry to hear this, but also know that it is probably a relief in some ways. Her suffering is over.
Please know that I am holding you, Hussein, and your family in my prayers.
_____
Sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved mother-in-law.
_____
I am in Egypt since two weeeks, finally I got my Internet connection.
This is why I am late in expressing to you my sympathy for the loss of your mother. May her soul rest in peace.
Kind regards
This is why I am late in expressing to you my sympathy for the loss of your mother. May her soul rest in peace.
Kind regards
_____
I am currently at work and just read your e-mail.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss - please accept my sincere condolences to you and your family.
I have lost my father when I was 12 and, in my late fourty's, he is always in my memory.
[ ] (with deepest sympathy)
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss - please accept my sincere condolences to you and your family.
I have lost my father when I was 12 and, in my late fourty's, he is always in my memory.
[ ] (with deepest sympathy)
_____
Dear Hussein,
It was with today's e-mail that I learned of the loss of your mother. I'm so sorry there has been this delay in sending you my sincerest condolences. We have now come to the stage of our lives where we must embrace the dear memories of our parents, rather that putting our arms around them personally. Still, those memories keep them with us forever. My thoughts are with you.
Love,
_____
Hussein, SherriJoyce, Sara and Maggie
So very sorry to read of the passing of Mama. I remember meeting her and what a lovely woman she was but most of all I remember her love for Maggie and Sara. [My daughter] was blessed to spend time your family and with your Mama over the years. May you take comfort that she is now in a better place and watching over all of you still. Bless you all. Love
So very sorry to read of the passing of Mama. I remember meeting her and what a lovely woman she was but most of all I remember her love for Maggie and Sara. [My daughter] was blessed to spend time your family and with your Mama over the years. May you take comfort that she is now in a better place and watching over all of you still. Bless you all. Love
____
The two poems that explain what I learned about Mama, including her major flaw
أمي
كبرنا ... لدرجة شعورنا بأن وراء ضحكة أمي ألف دمعة... كبرنا ... واكتشفنا أننا لم نكبر وحدنا فقط
بل كبر أبوينا معنا ، وأوشكوا على الرحيل
أو رحلوا فعلاً ... كبرنا جداً ...وعرفنا أن قسوة أمي كانت حب
وغضبها حب وعقابها حب
يالها من حياة ، وما أغربها من دنيا
وما أقصر العمر
عذراً - فيثاغورس
أمي هي المعادلة الأصعب
عذراً - نيوتن
فأمي هي سر الجاذبية
عذراً - أديسون
فأمي هي أول مصباح في حياتي
عذراً - أفلاطون
فأمي هي البقعة الفاضلة في قَلّبي
عذراً - روما
فكل الطرق تؤدي إلى حب أمي
عذراً - جولييت
فأمي هي حبيبتي
عذرًا للجميع ؛
فمهما أحببتكم ، فلم ولن أحب أحدًا
مثل ما أحببت أمي ، فهي أمرأة لن تتكرر في هذه الحياة ...شكرًا أمي لأنك أمي
بكى رجل في جنازة أمه ،
فقيل له : وما يبكيك ؟
قال : ولم لا أبكي
وقد أغلق باب من أبواب الجنة
بل كبر أبوينا معنا ، وأوشكوا على الرحيل
أو رحلوا فعلاً ... كبرنا جداً ...وعرفنا أن قسوة أمي كانت حب
وغضبها حب وعقابها حب
يالها من حياة ، وما أغربها من دنيا
وما أقصر العمر
عذراً - فيثاغورس
أمي هي المعادلة الأصعب
عذراً - نيوتن
فأمي هي سر الجاذبية
عذراً - أديسون
فأمي هي أول مصباح في حياتي
عذراً - أفلاطون
فأمي هي البقعة الفاضلة في قَلّبي
عذراً - روما
فكل الطرق تؤدي إلى حب أمي
عذراً - جولييت
فأمي هي حبيبتي
عذرًا للجميع ؛
فمهما أحببتكم ، فلم ولن أحب أحدًا
مثل ما أحببت أمي ، فهي أمرأة لن تتكرر في هذه الحياة ...شكرًا أمي لأنك أمي
بكى رجل في جنازة أمه ،
فقيل له : وما يبكيك ؟
قال : ولم لا أبكي
وقد أغلق باب من أبواب الجنة
One Flaw In Women
Women have strengths that amaze men…
They bear hardships and they carry burdens,
but they hold happiness, love and joy.
They smile when they want to scream.
They sing when they want to cry.
They cry when they are happy
and laugh when they are nervous.
They fight for what they believe in.
They stand up to injustice.
They don’t take “no” for an answer
when they believe there is a better solution.
They go without so their family can have.
They go to the doctor with a frightened friend.
They love unconditionally.
They cry when their children excel
and cheer when their friends get awards.
They are happy when they hear about
a birth or a wedding.
Their hearts break when a friend dies.
They grieve at the loss of a family member,
yet they are strong when they
think there is no strength left.
They know that a hug and a kiss
can heal a broken heart.
Women come in all shapes, sizes and colours.
They’ll drive, fly, walk, run or e-mail you
to show how much they care about you.
The heart of a woman is what
makes the world keep turning.
They bring joy, hope and love.
They have compassion and ideas.
They give moral support to their
family and friends.
Women have vital things to say
and everything to give..
HOWEVER, IF THERE IS ONE FLAW IN WOMEN,
IT IS THAT THEY FORGET THEIR WORTH.
They bear hardships and they carry burdens,
but they hold happiness, love and joy.
They smile when they want to scream.
They sing when they want to cry.
They cry when they are happy
and laugh when they are nervous.
They fight for what they believe in.
They stand up to injustice.
They don’t take “no” for an answer
when they believe there is a better solution.
They go without so their family can have.
They go to the doctor with a frightened friend.
They love unconditionally.
They cry when their children excel
and cheer when their friends get awards.
They are happy when they hear about
a birth or a wedding.
Their hearts break when a friend dies.
They grieve at the loss of a family member,
yet they are strong when they
think there is no strength left.
They know that a hug and a kiss
can heal a broken heart.
Women come in all shapes, sizes and colours.
They’ll drive, fly, walk, run or e-mail you
to show how much they care about you.
The heart of a woman is what
makes the world keep turning.
They bring joy, hope and love.
They have compassion and ideas.
They give moral support to their
family and friends.
Women have vital things to say
and everything to give..
HOWEVER, IF THERE IS ONE FLAW IN WOMEN,
IT IS THAT THEY FORGET THEIR WORTH.
Loving reactions after sharing this Memorial of Love with friends and relatives
Dear Hussein,I am very sorry to hear about the passing on of your Mother. I did not meet her but your love and devotion, and the beautiful tributes by those lives she touched, speak volumes. You are a living testament of how wonderful a mother and a human being she was.
Your Mom and your families are in my prayers.
Your Mom and your families are in my prayers.
This is beautiful! The love is overwhelming. Thank you for sharing!
Oh my goodness Sara. What a special Grandma. This is am absolutely beautiful tribute. Such warmth and insight and meaning. You are so special as is your family. You are truly blessed. Thank you for sharing this.
I read this email and want to express my deep appreciation for sharing a loving memorial for you grandmother. I know she will be missed and she sounds like a wonderful lady. Love is eternal and you will see her forever in many places as you journey throughout life.
These are beautiful words that describe a beautiful woman. Thank you for sharing this with me as I am sure others feel as though they now know much more about your grandmother and what was so important to her….you and your family! I particularly enjoyed the poem of Remember. Indeed it’s so important to remember her. I try very hard to remember my Grandmothers voice and her actions.
Thank you for sharing with me the beautiful and moving memorial tribute to your grandmother. While each eulogy touched me in its personal and individual nature, your mom's struck me like a bolt. Not ever having the opportunity to meet your grandmother, I've come to visualize her only through the stories and photos you've shared. One thing I didn't realize is how much of you comes from her. Your mom described a woman of enormous generosity, charity, acceptance, and love. This, my dear friend, is the epitome of your soul and all the things I love and respect most about you. Be proud to carry so much of her in you, for that along with your many wonderful memories is her legacy. I love you and extend my sincerest condolences to your family in this time of great loss. How lucky the world is to have people so hard to lose.
This is such a lovely memorial. Send my love to Papi!
Thanks for sharing. Your grandmother sounds like a remarkable woman and I am so glad she had the opportunity to see you grow up into a fine young woman yourself. May memories of her always warm your heart. I had a beloved grandmother and Daniel’s middle name is for her. I love thinking about how much she loved her grandchildren and feel proud that her memory is honored that way. I am sure you will have so much to share with your children about her.
What a beautiful memorial to your grandmother! This is really something to cherish. I read your poems and they were so sweet.
You and your family are in my thoughts during this difficult time. It sounds like your grandmother added lots of richness to your life, and you undoubtedly did the same for her.
You and your family are in my thoughts during this difficult time. It sounds like your grandmother added lots of richness to your life, and you undoubtedly did the same for her.
What a beautiful way to express your thoughts and feelings for your beloved Grandmother. Thinking of you and your family.
A beautiful tribute and as always, so eloquently written by your family! Thanks for sharing :)
Much appreciate you sharing your memories and celebration of mom’s life with us.
Such is life: memorable.
Cheers Hussein
My deepest condolences dear friend.
This is a nice tribute. Thank you for sending.
Again, so sorry for your loss. I have oft fondly repeated the story of how she brought the kofta from Egypt.
Hussein ---- Thanks so much for sharing those lovely thoughts and tributes about your mother! It Is a great loss, I know! but when we lost my Dad after his long and valiant struggle with Alzheimers, I really felt so clearly that now he had his same strength, intelligence and humor back again -- and the sparkle in his eye! --- love to you both --- and again, thanks for those lovely tributes! I hope we’ll see you soon --- Best to All,
Oh, Hussein, I can barely type through my tears - what a wonderful, touching, accurate, amazing memorial to your wonderful Mother...and to the son and family of whom she was most proud!
Love,
Suffering with you and for you...
Lovely tributes, Hussein. I'm sorry I never had the chance to meet her.
Hussein
Thank you so much for sharing this. It really touched my heart. I hope you are bearing up through this time….remember time does heal all wounds.
Dear Hussein,
God give you the patience to endure.
With all my best...
Thanks so much to you and Hussein for sharing these beautiful eulogies with us. It is so heartwarming to read these beautiful thoughts and I hope that they have provided all of you with some comfort.
Wow! You have an amazing family who demonstrate such love towards each other and others. Thank you SJK and Hussein for sharing all of this with me.
Love,
Love,
Dear Hussein and Sherri Joyce,
You have written so eloquently about your mother. She was a remarkably meaningful person. The things shared tell how blessed you were in all she was and did for your family. Her love and guidance provided you with all the strength of character that I see in you and your family. It is amazing how love given freely can provide such strength.
Thank you for sharing this with me.
Just passed it on to my friends and colleagues...so so special.
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear! How are you doing? Is your Dad holding up ok?
I wanted you to know that I just read this because I was saving it for a time when I could really focus on the words. I didn't even scroll when you first sent it because I knew it'd be pages long with the heart's deepest impressions. It's funny getting a eulogy through an email. Not funny haha but you know what I mean. Your nana was clearly such a special and obvious grandmother. I mean, what better way to show your pain for distance and your strength of love than to say "I love you too much I miss you too much." It's how I feel always with my family and its how I miss my grandfather when I allow myself to think of him. Tears stinging my face every time. I've been scared these past few days for my maternal grandmother - davening for her for months now for a full healing, and now for a full recovery as she was pulled into emergency surgery Wednesday. The disks in her back were pinched so hard the doctors said it was a miracle she wasn't paralyzed. Thank G-d she's healing.
I was lucky to know my four grandparents like you were lucky to know nana.
To feast in their love as you put it so well.
Thank you for sending me this. I haven't added anything to my diary in a long time. I'm adding this. You've inspired me today and always. Make nana proud Sara.
------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------------
Simply put, no society can truly flourish if it stifles the dreams and productivity of half its population, its women. Countries that don't use the vast intelligence in women are the least civilized, least prosperous and least democratic.
© Dr Hussein A Amin 2011