This is about the religious extremists who tear about the globe talking about how superior their way of thinking is, how to behave, and even who to be.
First friends, indulge me a bit with some thoughts, beliefs and feelings, then take a look at below very worthwhile 3:51-minute video: "I have the right to ask - من حقي أن أسأل"
My introspection:
- I was born a Muslim, but am I similar to, better than, or worse than any other Muslim? No, only different.
- I was born a man, but am I similar to, better than, or worse than any other human, man or woman? No, only different.
- I was born a Muslim, but am I similar to, better than, or worse than any Jew, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, or...? No, only different.
- I was born in Egypt, but am I similar to, better than, or worse than any other human on planet earth? No, only different.
- I was born of dark hair, dark eyes and brownish skin, but am I similar to, less than, or more than any other human of different colors? No, only different.
I could continue at length; but actually all I need to say, all I want to say is that I do not aspire to be a better Muslim than any other Muslim; or a better man than another woman or man; or better than a Jew, a Christian, a Hindu, a Buddhist, or...; or a better national than any other national; or have my colors declared the best colors of humanity; all I am truly trying my best to achieve is become a better version of myself, all the way to my grave.
How I am as a Muslim, as a citizen, as a person is not the concern of any other human being, who just like me is a mortal who knows close to nothing about the meaning of life or what awaits us in the afterlife. All anybody needs and must strive to do is live within the law of the land, contribute, improve one's own character, mind his/her business and respect the inalienable rights of all others.
Now the video, Arabic with English subtitles, meaningful, thoughtful and exceedingly relevant.
"When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet, at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it -- but all that had gone before." Jacob Riis