Friday, November 15, 2013

Rememberin​g Egypt, My Home

 
This posting to my blog is the hundredth one. I've been pestering you for three years now, and I'm sure you've had enough. Any other thoughts and feelings I feel the urge to say will be in my blog, but I will no longer send out the accompanying email. You are welcome to continue to share in my thoughts on the blog.

I want this hundredth post to be meaningful to me, I want it to be about my thinking of Egypt and the people and places, now only in my memories.

I'm thinking of you, Egypt, in these turbulent yet hopeful times in your millennia of civilization - what is more meaningful than day-dreaming of going home again, simply to lend a hand in your titanic struggle to develop your people with education and information, so that they are equipped to effectively confront poverty and ignorance, and consequently have a say in their lives and send once and for all to the dustbin of history their two demons:
  • Muslim extremists hell-bent on taking them backwards hundreds of years, foregoing life and focusing on a mythical afterlife.
  • Military-based regimes and governments that for decades have been soaked in incompetency, hypocrisy and corruption, producing no discernible progress, only amassing fortunes and ill-gotten gains for the very few at the cost of denying the masses their inalienable rights to freedom, bread, social justice and dignity.

 


 


 
 
However, to my great misfortune and deep embarrassment, I realize as I get older that my life as it has been put together will allow me to go back home only virtually.

In virtually going home, below songs, video and lyrics sooth my frayed nerves, an emotional trip for sure, that is admittedly useless for you Egypt.

A pensive song of Elton John http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP-7moQKd9M that says, I never tire of hearing songs about going home again, and in one's imagination this happens over and over again.

A 3-minute video depicting the Egypt I remember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ZFe_MorRw#t=16

Two songs for Egypt:


Speaking of home, what better to spiritually transplant you there, than below marvelous medleys by two icons of Egyptian music.  They bring back memories of my life in Egypt, a life long gone by.
 
 
These words of an أم كلثوم song best capture the essence of my thoughts and feelings about and for Egypt:


هجرتك يمكن أنسى هواك.. وأودع قلبك القاسي

وقلت اقدر في يوم
أنساك.. وأفضي م الهوى كاسي
لقيت روحي في عز جفاك.. بافكر فيك وانا ناسي


غصبت روحي على الهجران.. وا
نت هواك يجري ف دمي

وفضلت أفكر في النسيان.. لما بقى النسيان همي
لو خطر حبك في بالي.. والا زار طيفك خيالي
حاولت أهرب م الأفكار.. اللي تشعلل نار حبي
وافضلت وانا بالي محتار.. في الحب بين عقلي وقلبي
 
وكان هجري عشان
أنساك.. واودع قلبك القاسي

لقيت روحي في عز جفاك.. بافكر فيك وانا ناسي

صعبان عليّ جفاك.. بعد اللي شفته في حبك
مش قادر انسى رضاك.. أيام ودادك وقربك
لكن اعمل ليه.. وانا قلبي لسه صعبان عليه
صعبان عليه انه اتمنى.. قربك
ونال مراده واتهنى.. بنعيم حبك

ورجعت تسقيه من صدك.. كاس الهجران
وتفوت عليه أيام بعدك.. سهد وحرمان

وقلت أراضيه وأنسي هواك.. وأودع قلبك القاسي

وقلت اقدر في يوم أسلاك.. وأفضي م الهوى كاسي
لقيت روحي في عز جفاك.. بافكر فيك وانا ناسي
ياما حاولت أنساك.. وأنسى ليالي هواك
وأنسى الجمال اللي شفته.. في الوجود وياك
حرمت روحي من كل نسمة.. كانت بتسري بينك وبيني
وحرمت روحي من كل نعمة.. كانت بتحلى وياك ف عيني
وقلت أعيش من غير ذكرى.. تخلي قلبي يحن إليك

ما فضلش عندي ولا فكرة.. غير إني أنسى أفكر فيك
وصبحت بين عقلي وقلبي.. تايه حيران
أقول لروحي من غلبي.. أنسى النسيان
ما دام باهجر عشان أنساك.. وأودع قلبك القاسي

واشوف روحي في عز جفاك.. بافكر فيك وانا ناسي

 

Many thanks for listening for the last three years, dear friends. See you in cyberspace.
 
Hussein