Friday, October 2, 2015

Planned Parenthood




Last night I sat down with the intention of writing a lengthy piece about why I support Planned Parenthood. I read their full 2014 annual report and was bursting with numbers to show just how many people (2.7 million) benefit from available services each year. I read, and wept through, testimonials of women whose lives were improved, and even saved, because of the affordable, non-judgmental care provided at more than 700 Planned Parenthood centers nationwide. I watched recorded statements from advocates who perfectly sum up why I believe it is so important to protect women’s health and address the issue of family planning.

And then I remembered something I read a few weeks ago: “I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently. I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.”

So here it goes. To every woman who has felt a lump and needed a cancer screening – I stand with you. To every woman who has learned more about her body through sex education – I stand with you. To every woman who has used birth control to plan her family – I stand with you. To every woman who has needed an affordable health care provider – I stand with you. To every woman who has had to face the overwhelming decision of whether to have an abortion – I stand with you.

And to every man who has stood by a woman he loves, whether a mother, a sister, a lover or a friend, as she tackles decisions about her health with strength, courage and conviction – I stand with you.

Today, and every day, I STAND WITH PLANNED PARENTHOOD.


Planned Parenthood: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/



-- 


I've always considered it a type of sin against the vast and wondrous panorama of life to make your world small, shrink-fitted to convenience, immunized against change and unfamiliarity. Bob Shacochis