Saturday, July 20, 2013

Religion: a private matter, must be kept off the streets


Below friends is a very alarming 3:00-minute video, depressing in what it means, and what it reveals as to the ongoing deterioration of the Egyptian society.
 
This is all new to me, growing up in Egypt's villages, Cairo and Alexandria, I do not recall seeing or hearing anything remotely similar to what you'll hear in the video.
 
Let us fight back, let us at all times remind ourselves and everyone we come across, to fully understand, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that Islam is but one among hundreds of worldwide religions, all have their own merits, all serve the needs of humans to believe in a higher entity, to seek solace and hope for a better future.
 
The video is courtesy of my friend, who was really depressed by it, and had to put a rather big comment on Facebook, reflecting on and condemning the incident, its meaning and roots.
 
Please see video below, followed by my friend's comment, which I unequivocally concur with..
 
Thank you,   Hussein 
 
ملتحيان يعتديان بالضرب على طالبة مسيحية في الشارع
 
My friend's comment:
 
"This is the most depressive piece of news I have encountered, of course following the news of the death of anybody at the hands of the police.
 
The assault on the Christian girl is twofold:
  1. One it is the next step on the assaults , sexually and physically on Egyptian women.
  2. Two: The aggressors, knowing they will not be punished in a currently supportive climate which gives them the right to tell women what to do, say, wear and how to behave, have begun to escalate their assaults.
 
Their beastly violence emanating from a stifled and sick sexual climate has driven them towards christian women as a target.  Of course they interpret it as a form of jihad, but really it is to satisfy their sick and violent minds.
 
However, it is not just the current climate which is to blame.
  • I blame the culture which allowed us to interpret religion in what we wear and how often we go to the mosque rather than understanding the core of it which tells you that Belief is a personal thing.
  • I blame the middle class and educated men and women who put Allah this and the Prophet that in every sentence they utter, thus alienating the Egyptian Christians.
  • I blame them for wearing a kind of veil whose only function is to SHOW that: a I am a devout Moslem, b: get away from me if you have any different way of thinking or living.
  • I blame it on the educated middle classes who would look pitifully on any woman over 30 who remained unveiled, and pray for her to come to reason soon.
  • I blame them for interpreting every aspect of life from the holy book and not from their own thinking and deduction to a conclusion.
 
They, unwittingly and stupidly have alienated a big chunk of society, drove Christian Egyptians to strictness.  A big piece of society which begs to think differently but does not dare to mouth any resistance because it is to do with an unreformed way of life given a fertile ground to breathe and create havoc in the name of religion."
 
 
 

-- 
Simply put, no society can truly flourish if it stifles the dreams and productivity of half its population,its women.  Countries that don't use the vast intelligence in women are the least civilized, least prosperous and least democratic.